William Edwards School was named after Mr. W. H. Edwards who had spent much of his working life involved in Education and local government in Thurrock, for which he received an MBE in 1948.
The school first opened its doors to students on 11th September 1962. Under the guidance of Mr. R. H. Saxton, the first Headteacher, 100 Year 8 pupils transferred to William Edwards from other secondary schools in the area and on the following day, they were joined by 162 Year 7 pupils making the move from local primary schools.
In 2002, the school gained Sports College status and in 2004 William Edwards became a Training School. In December 2010, the school received an ‘Outstanding’ judgement from Ofsted and the academic year 2012-13 marked the 50th anniversary of the school’s opening. During this time, the school has also achieved Academy converter status and we are continually looking for ways of working more efficiently and effectively with local schools and the community which we serve.
We look forward to hearing from you.
Assistant Head Teacher
- School Prospectus3rd October 2014 - 12:05 pm
- P.E. Extra Curricular Timetable for Summer 201724th April 2017 - 10:54 am
- Year 11 English Revision schedule April & May18th April 2017 - 10:07 am
- Free School Application Approved12th April 2017 - 10:04 am
- Historic Royal Palaces Visit31st March 2017 - 12:21 pm
- Easter Eggs For The Thurrock Food Bank30th March 2017 - 1:58 pm
William Edwards School
Stifford Clays Road
T: 01375 486000
F: 01375 486009
Peter Melville on email@example.com