WESPlanner User Guide
WESPlanner was conceived by the staff of William Edwards School in the summer of 2012. It offers a straightforward method to plan and share lessons with an emphasis on ensuring that teachers consider the needs of all students, what they expect students to learn and how they know what has been learnt. This ‘checking of learning’ has been called CLAMP (Checking Learning and Making Progress) and the staff of the school use a range of methods from their CLAMP toolkit. The toolkit is not currently available to app users but is essentially a range of Assessment for Learning techniques which are freely available online.
WESPlanner was a finalist in the Innovation category of the British Educational Suppliers Awards 2013.
VIEWS – WESPlanner has two views; ‘Organise’ and ‘Lessons’. All lessons created are stored in ‘Lessons’. They can be created in either view by pressing +. If they are created in Organise, lessons are automatically put into the correct slot on the schedule. If they are created in lessons they can be assigned to a slot at a later date via the + in organise view and then ‘lesson from Current Year’.
Setting up Timetables / Schedules
- In ‘organise’ view, select ‘Months’.
- Select ‘Options’ to determine how many teaching days each week and how many teaching periods each day you want to set up.
- In ‘Organise’ view, create the lessons for a particular week in outline only (perhaps just complete ‘Class’ and allocate a colour)
- In ‘Months’ view select the week you want to replicate and press ‘duplicate’
- Select the weeks you want to duplicate the week to and press ‘Apply’.
Adding a New Academic Year.
- In ‘Organise’ view, select ‘Months’
- A new academic year can be added by tapping the year in the top left hand corner and selecting +.
- Academic years run from the end of August to the end of August.
- Move between academic years by tapping on the year required.
- All lesson are archived into the academic year of creation resulting in a clean planner at the start of each academic year.
- Lessons from a previous academic year can be pulled into the current year by select + and ‘Lesson from Other Year’. A duplicate copy is stored in the current academic year.
Inputting Lessons & Notes
- All lessons created are stored in ‘Lessons’. They can be created in either view by pressing +. If they are created in Organise, lessons are automatically put into the correct slot on the schedule. If they are created in lessons they can be assigned to a slot at a later date via the + in organise view and then ‘lesson from Current Year’.
- Lessons from previous archived years or that have been created in ‘Lesson’ view can be assigned to the correct place in the organiser by selecting + (in organise view) and then ‘Lesson from Current Year’. The correct lesson can then be found using the Scheme, Class or Colour tabs.
- The top part of the lesson template can be expanded via the arrows in the top right hand corner.
- The speech box next to the figure at the top is for storing notes or comments about the lesson. They are stored with the lesson but cannot be printed
- Notes can only created in ‘Organise’ view and are not stored anywhere else. They cannot be shared.
Sharing Lessons with Colleagues
- WESPlanner comes into its own when lessons are shared with colleagues.
- To share a lesson with a colleague, go into the lesson template and select the export button at the top next to the comment box.
- You then have the choice of emailing the lesson as a PDF or emailing it as a WESPlanner document if the recipient has WESPlanner installed on their iPad.
- To import a WESPlanner lesson into your own planner, open the email with the WESPlanner attachment, select the lepl file, and when it opens as a page of text, select the ‘Open in WESPlanner’ option from the arrow in the top right hand corner. The lesson will then be imported into your ‘Lessons’ view.
Archiving and Backup
- Lessons created in an academic year are stored within that academic year.
- Therefore, each academic year starts with a blank planner in both views but lessons can be added from previous academic years if necessary (see Inputting Lessons & Notes section).
- To move between years, click on ‘Months’ and then press the year to select other years.
- To backup lessons users have two options.
- To backup manually to email, go into ‘Lesson’ view, select the export arrow in the top left hand corner and select ‘Email all as WESPLanner Document’. Should you need to restore lessons, then simply restore the most recent email by following the same method as you would to import a lesson into WESPlanner (see Sharing Lessons with Colleagues section).
- To set up automatic backup to your Dropbox account, go into ‘Lesson’ view, select the export arrow in the top left hand corner and select ‘Dropbox Backup. Follow the instruction to set up weekly automatic backups or to restore from the most recent backup.
- School Prospectus3rd October 2014 - 12:05 pm
- P.E. Extra Curricular Timetable for Summer 201724th April 2017 - 10:54 am
- Year 11 English Revision schedule April & May18th April 2017 - 10:07 am
- Free School Application Approved12th April 2017 - 10:04 am
- Historic Royal Palaces Visit31st March 2017 - 12:21 pm
- Easter Eggs For The Thurrock Food Bank30th March 2017 - 1:58 pm
William Edwards School
Stifford Clays Road
T: 01375 486000
F: 01375 486009
Peter Melville on email@example.com