Snow/Bad Weather Arrangements
Given the forecast for some wintry weather later in the week, here are the school’s procedures with regard to snow and bad weather. The school will close only in exceptional circumstances, therefore please assume that the school will be open. The school will only close, or close to some year groups, in the event of
1. a facility malfunction in the building, e.g. boiler breaking down/power failure, or
2. a substantial number of staff not being able to reach their place of work, otherwise the school will remain open. In the unlikely event of closure this will be posted first on the school’s Facebook page and Website www.williamedwards.org.uk.
Where possible we will endeavour to send a text message out. Again should you be uncertain, please assume the school is open. In the event of the weather seriously deteriorating during the school day, students will normally be kept in school until the end of the afternoon and released at the normal time.
In the unlikely event of an unforeseen early closure we will endeavour to make contact with you via text or email (with telephone contact where necessary). No student would be released until this had happened. During cold weather students may wear additional layers of clothing to keep them warm including:
- a warm coat or jacket in line with school uniform guidance (plain, dark colours) although these will need to be removed inside buildings.
- a black school v-neck jumper under their blazer.
- a white thermal layer under their shirt or blouse.
Unfortunately, for health and safety reasons, we cannot allow students to play with snow. Therefore, snowballing and other such games are banned and students will generally be kept indoors during breaks.
Finally, can I ask that if you drive your child to school that you drop them a safe distance away from the site to avoid potential accidents during busy times.
Thank you for your support in these matters.