Named after the Bruyn family who owned land in the Stifford area from the 1200s. Sir Maurice Bruyn was Sherriff of Essex & Hertfordshire in 1423-1424 and again in 1435-1436
By 1181, the Rokell (or de la Rochelle) family were the owners of Willingdale Doe in Essex and the Manor of South Ockendon. In 1255, Sir Richard de la Rochelle, who was an accomplished lawyer, was made Justiciar of Ireland by King Henry 111.
William de Warrene was one of the eleven Norman Barons who came to England with William (the Conqueror) of Normandy in 1066 and were later given significant land holdings. Part of William de Warrene’s gift was a 30 acre holding in Stifford. The de Warrene family was influential in Thurrock until the late 1200s, when most of their local land and property was sold to the Crammaville family.
The Whitmore family became the owners of the Orsett estate in 1884. Francis Whitmore inherited the estate from his father in 1899 and became a very well known and pro-active member of the local community. He was President of the Orsett Cricket Club, the founder of Orsett Golf Club, a Justice of the Peace and Lord Lieutenant of Essex. He also re-built the roof of Orsett Church. The Whitmore family remained at Orsett Hall until 1967.
- School Prospectus3rd October 2014 - 12:05 pm
- P.E. Extra Curricular Timetable for Summer 201724th April 2017 - 10:54 am
- Year 11 English Revision schedule April & May18th April 2017 - 10:07 am
- Free School Application Approved12th April 2017 - 10:04 am
- Historic Royal Palaces Visit31st March 2017 - 12:21 pm
- Easter Eggs For The Thurrock Food Bank30th March 2017 - 1:58 pm
William Edwards School
Stifford Clays Road
T: 01375 486000
F: 01375 486009
Peter Melville on email@example.com